Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cake Fight



We had our first official Gebhards family cake fight tonight, and I'll tell you, it was mayhem! I don't think we planned very well, though (I'll detail that for you in a moment). Yes, Kurt and I actually planned this one. We had a lot of leftover cake from an event today (thanks Jon, Julia and Aubrey for caring for Kurt this way!) and we thought it would be fun to initiate a cake fight with the kids. So Kurt and I started it, and then two of the kids joined in when they realized it was "okay". Cake was flying everywhere (I mean everywhere!!!!), and four of us were having a blast! However, Kinley, Cam, and Macy were all crying. Anyway, we had our fun smearing cake on each other, rubbing it into each others hair, and then ended it to ease the little ones' stress. When we were cleaning up, I asked the two little ones (Kinley and Cam) why they were crying (they were still crying 10 minutes after we were done), and here came Kinley's reply, "I don't like cake in my hair and on my face!" I could have predicted that one. She is meticulous and neat. Then I asked Cam. "I didn't get to eat any cake!!!" came the reply. I guess I should have also been able to predict that one too (she is a junk-food-junkie!). Macy calmed down quickly. She just didn't like the chaos, and was trying to figure out if we were all okay. Reilly made it all worthwhile with one statement: "That was the best time in my whole life!!!!"

When planning a cake fight, here are some tips (which we neglected to implement):

1. Make the kids think it's spontaneous

2. Make sure they're wearing grubbies

3. Don't use a cake with "lardy" frosting (it leaves cement slippery) or crumbly texture

4. Move all objects out of range that you don't want to scrub down later

5. Clean up first with paper towels, and only afterward use the hose (see picture)

6. Let the kids go and show the neighbors the mess- they think it's cool!

7. Have fun, don't stress!
8. Make SURE you get lots of pictures!!

I have to say, one of my fondest memories growing up is from a time when my family was out for pizza one night, and all 5 of us got into an ice fight. Even my mom was involved, and I thought it was the coolest! Thanks for the inspiration, mom and dad!

No comments: