Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Writings from a NORMAL 8 year old boy

Reilly wrote a continuation to a story that he read in class. I was struck (you will be too!!) by the mind of my 8 year old boy. He is a very normal 8 year old boy- loves baseball, pancakes, mac & cheese, playing with friends, watching movies, etc. Here it is. I think Margalo is a bird.

"If Margalo was found, I think she would be eaten by a cat in Sweden. She would freeze to death and a shark would swallow her whole. She would come alive again and get out and sink to the bottom and die. And again she would come alive again. She would fly to the top, go to Mount Everest, and fly to the top. There was a fire below and Mount Everest turned into a volcano, boulders fell from the sky, the volcano was blowing up, and aliens were attacking. Her wings were falling off. An alien takes her to outer space. Margalo sufficates to death. The End."

No comments are necessary, I know. However, I cannot refrain from making a couple of observations. Okay, just one. Margalo died five times in this story. One more. I wonder what poor Margalo was feeling like while being captured by those aliens after freezing to death, being eaten by a shark and a cat, sinking to the bottom of the ocean, being blown up out of Mount Everest, and her wings falling off...

Here is a writing Reilly did about "Earth". I get the idea from how he started that they were supposed to write about how to save the earth, treat nature kindly, etc. Here's how Reilly's went.

Earth is a very important place. If I were a king (I think he means tyrant), everyone would have to recycle. If my soldiers don't see people recycling, the family would die (I think Hitler was a little more lenient than this).
I would also make everyone plant 1 oak tree every two years. If my soldiers tell me they ain't (the teacher did not correct this in the rough draft, ARE YOU KIDDING??), they go to jail until they die (rough punishment...don't ever vote Reilly Gebhards president).
The last way I would help the earth is to turn off T.V.'s and computers when I am not using them because they (who is "they"??) could get electrocuted.

I promise, he is a very sweet and NORMAL boy.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow. I think I am more appalled by "aint" :)

bean said...

That totally cracked me up. I love the death penalty for not recycling. He could run with Al Gore!

The Martinez Family said...

That's one creative kid! Adrian and I couldn't stop laughing while reading those stories. Keep it up, Riley!

Michelle said...

I am going to start praying for Riley!...and you guys, just in case you forget to recycle!