Sunday, November 16, 2008

Deep Thoughts

I was reading through Matthew Henry's commentary on Romans 8, and when I got to verse 5, my thoughts were captivated. Take a minute to evaluate the direction and impulse of your heart, and see if you are "after the flesh or after the Spirit".

How may we know whether we are after the flesh or after the Spirit? By examining what we mind, the things of the flesh or the things of the spirit. Carnal pleasure, worldly profit and honour, the things of sense and time, are the things of the flesh, which unregenerate people mind. The favour of God, the welfare of the soul, the concerns of eternity, are the things of the Spirit, which those that are after the Spirit do mind. The man is as the mind is. The mind is the forge of thoughts. As he thinketh in his heart, so is he, Prov. 23:7. Which way do the thoughts move with most pleasure? On what do they dwell with most satisfaction? The mind is the seat of wisdom. Which way go the projects and contrivances? whether are we more wise for the world or for our souls? phronousi ta teµs sarkos—they savour the things of the flesh; so the word is rendered, Mt. 16:23. It is a great matter what our savour is, what truths, what tidings, what comforts, we do most relish, and are most agreeable to us.

A great matter. A life and death matter. I praise God that though I struggle with my flesh, my thoughts settle most comfortably with satisfaction on matters of the soul. I strive to put to death the desires of the flesh, though I know how weak I am and how far I have to go. But I'm in the fight, and my thoughts are taken by spiritual matters, and I relish in my salvation and God's grace to me!

3 comments:

Leo and Kim said...

Julie, God continues to use you to encourage and challenge me with your deep moments. I never knew you were so deep. :) Keep it up. Keep striving to serve the Lord with your whole heart.

Happy Hollie said...

That was good sis....thanks! Love you!

M in Tarzana said...

Thanks for stirring us up sister! Let's continue to "press on" together ... all of us that we may "lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me" ! (Phil 3:12).