Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Spelling Bee CHAMP

Spelling bee champion with his buddy Tommy cheering him on.
Aren't they so sweet?! We celebrated tonight with hot fudge sundaes and a climb to the top of the 15 foot snow pile in the Hobby Lobby parking lot. I pretended to drive away and they went into a fake panic mode on cue. It was quite amusing.
This is Reilly nervously picking at his fingers (I think he did this a little bit today) while getting the definition of "manicure". Yes, that was one of his words. And he did ask for the definition.

Wow. Today was the school spelling bee, and I didn't even know it. This afternoon I got a call from Kurt (who picked up the kids for me) and he told me about it, and that Reilly was "a part of it". Boys aren't really good at giving details, so I never even heard that it was going to be an event. I knew that he had won in his class, but that's about all. Kurt couldn't keep it in...so he just spit it out. Reilly had won the spelling bee for the ENTIRE 3rd through 8th grade classes!! He beat out all of the 5th graders, 6th graders, 7th graders and 8th graders to win!! He's in 4th grade, which makes him the youngest kid to ever win the spelling bee at his school. We are so excited for him and proud of him!! Okay, so you may be thinking that this is a small little Christian school, and I guess you may be right. But this school does happen to be the number one private school in North Carolina. (Okay, so here's the proud mama coming out in me...) And in case you're wondering, there's probably an average of 35 kids per grade level. SMART kids. :) Anyway, my favorite part of all was when I was driving Tommy and Reilly home from their basketball game tonight and they were telling me about the spelling bee. I asked,
"So, Tommy, were you excited that Reilly won?" Not really prepared for his response, he said,
"Oh yes, Mrs. Gebhards! I jumped up and yelled like this!!" He fist pumped and shouted out a loud "WooHoo!!"...it was the sweetest thing ever! Could you ask for a better friend??
Kurt had them do a "reenactment" and these pics are from that. How I wish I had been there!

2 comments:

Leo and Kim said...

Too cute! I am excited for you as a Mama!

Anonymous said...

Rei-man, your super- cala- fragalistic - exbee - ala - doshious.