Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yesterday I was struck by something I'm sure I have read many times in my "Proverb of the day" ventures. If you're keen on the Proverbs, you might be a little surprised since you may realize that Proverbs 5 is largely devoted to avoiding the pitfalls of the adulteress. The phrase that really caught my attention is in fact a description of the adulteress. But, a description which I think we can all relate to on some level. Here it is.

"She does not ponder the path of life." (v.6)

I highlighted and emboldened the word ponder. I don't think we take much time to ponder anything. Life is too busy. We have lots of things to do. And we have everything we need (or so we think). So this morning I spent an hour pondering with the Psalmist and I have been greatly blessed.
Just to note, the "end" of the one who gives in to the adulteress (and no doubt the end to the adulteress herself) is this:

"And you groan at your final end, when your flesh and your body are consumed; and you say, 'How I have hated instruction! And my heart spurned reproof!'"

I don't want to wait until my "final end" to ponder life. We MUST resolve daily to meditate and ponder on truth, or our bodies will be consumed, and we will be left without hope, wanting nothing more than to go back and settle our matters with God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Julie,

In thinking about Andrew and Michelle on their way to you today, I wanted to see your latest pics and really enjoyed your little 'devo' on Prvbs about 'pondering the path of life'! Thanks so much for that!

Hugs, Robbie