Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Full, Fulfilling Day!

Well, today was quite a day...we spent almost 8 hours at the beloved Castaic Sports Complex! Today was officially the last day of basketball, so we finished with Shea's game at 9:00a.m., and Reilly's following at 10:00. Shea was more aggressive and less afraid of the ball today, and Reilly scored 6 points for the team! It was fun, exciting, sweet, and a little humorous watching an 8 year old handle scoring more points than he ever has. He's SO CUTE!! He was ecstatic on the inside with each basket (we parents can tell this sort of thing), yet in 8 year old boy style, had to try to suppress too much of a smile, lest anyone catch on that he was excited. I told Kurt that when I was in junior high playing for the Steinbeck Stallions, I did the very same thing. It was because I never scored, but when I did, I didn't want anyone to know that I never scored-and if I was too excited, it would be a dead give-away! So I held in that smile as much as I could, and didn't look at my parents, because I knew they would be smiling too, which would make me smile more... I'm so glad that Reilly looked at us, because it was definitely a proud moment for us parents, and we were screaming and cheering for him! I LOVE it!
Not only was it the last day of basketball, it was also the first day of Little League. So talk about another proud moment, Reilly had the distinct honor of throwing the first pitch in the opening ceremonies to represent the "farm league"!! Okay, so I have to remind myself that he's only 8, and this isn't such a big deal, but for our family, it was awesome! He was "nominated" by our coach and was chosen by the people who run the league. We took lots of pictures, and will post them tomorrow. It's time for bed now...as we all know, Sunday morning starts Saturday night!! (or Thursday afternoon, as my husband reminds me)
The rest of the kids had a great day as well. They all were troopers! Cam is such a crack-up! When we were watching Reilly's game, she was making friends with the other parents and grandparents. I could hear her telling them about her brother and sissies. I looked over once, and she was sitting in a chair that a mom and grandma brought(the mom is a neighbor of ours that we have recently gotten to know a bit) and was chatting with "grandma". Cam asked the grandma (with all of the grown-up style she could muster up), "oh, is that your brother playing out there?" They were chatting for quite a while, when Cam got up to get another snack from my purse. A minute later, Cam walked back over to find her chair occupuied. Next time I glanced over, she was in the mom's lap snuggling up to keep warm. Heidi looked over with a shrug and told me they were "keeping each other warm"...Cam is the sweetest little bug! Heidi has two boys (7&10) so I told her I would let her borrow a girl every now and then. What a fun day!

No comments: