Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Shea-ism

Tonight was quite an evening for the Gebhards'...First of all, my dinner was a total flop! It was pretty funny. Swedish girls should not try making Chinese food without some training. How do you mess up fried rice? Who knows. It was awful.
In the middle of dinner, I admitted to the kids that I thought dinner was awful. Poor kids. After several gaggings, and the kids trying to coach each other through one more bite, we let them off the hook. They ate cereal instead. So did I.
Well, at the end of dinner, Shea made a little announcement. It was matter-of-fact, but with a tinge of valley girl sass.
"Oh. Mom. By the way. Good news. I have bangs." Just like that. What in the world??? What do you mean by an announcement to me that you have bangs?? I didn't give her a hair cut, nor did I take her to the salon, so what was this? She was fiddling with her hair, pulling out some broken strands in the front. She knows what bangs are, but neither Kurt nor I can figure out why she thinks she has them. This led to the sad discussion that she has bad hair. To a seven year old who lives in a fairy tail land and often thinks she is a princess, this is a sad realization. Anyway, it's fun to tease her and she knows that we love her, whether she has good hair or broken and fine hair... She'll probably be asking for some expensive hair products before we know it...

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Makes me look forward to when my girls can talk to me - I anticipate the interesting things that come out of their little minds :) How gracious to laugh at making a dinner flop - I need to learn to laugh when I do it . . . it is a painfully prideful area for me :( Thanks for sharing!

Ayemi said...

hey Julie,

Fried rice is easy if you have rice that is one day old because fresh rice has too much water and it becomes a soggy mess of nastiness.

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2008/02/fried-rice-yang-chow-style.html for step by step instructions.