Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hickory, North Carolina

One of the MANY treasures the previous owner left for us. This was a "toad house" wind chime or something. We also got a ceramic life sized wiener dog, a stork with his mouth open large... and the list goes on into even stranger things. However, the house is beautiful!
The kids ready to go swimming at our new friends' house this morning.
The lovely welcome Shea received from the mosquitos. She itched like crazy!
Where to start...we arrived in Hickory North Carolina just a few short days ago, and I haven't seen a computer in over two weeks, so I apologize for any of you who actually expect somewhat regular updates!
So from June 15 (I believe that was my last post) until now- almost two months later -our lives have basically turned upside down. We decided right around June 15 that the Lord was calling our family to North Carolina. We sold the house (no small thing!!), bought one here in Hickory, and spent the next month and a half packing boxes, tying up loose ends, saying difficult good-byes and getting SO excited to meet our friends here in Hickory.
The good-byes were difficult- we will miss our friends and family dearly, but the welcome we have received here has been royal. I'm just waiting for them to realize that we're pretty normal people- at least let me speak for myself... So the pantry and fridge was filled to capacity- I'm talking 6 jars of peanut butter and 7 jars of grape jelly "filled". They found out exactly what we like, then everyone at the church shopped with the list! We are well cared for here, and already feel at home with the church family. They are warm, kind, sweet, and exceedingly generous! I can't say the same for the mosquitos, though they think my kids are warm, sweet, and exceedingly generous (for playing outside in the evenings). Shea is apparently allergic to the mosquitos here. See the picture.
Well, I am going to make a promise to you all that I am going to post updates here on the blog daily to catch everyone up to speed with our life adventure (and make sure I have no gaps in my memory book!), so keep checking! I can't wait to catch up with all of my blogging friends!

9 comments:

Liesy said...

Yey! You posted!! I can't imagine how crazy everything must've been, can't wait to read all about it. Glad everything's going so well! When you get a chance I'd love to see some pics of Dax. Happy settling in :0)

Hohn C said...

Poor Shea. :( I can relate on the anti-mosquito sentiment! I'll have to remember the DEET.

Chunny and Me said...

Glad you have received such a warm welcome to your new home in NC! The West Coast misses you already - can't wait to see more of your posts and pictures of your adventures.
Lots of love to you all! - Lisa

Andrea Cervantes said...

Julie, I am so glad you are updating your blog. I am extremely jealous that you live back east...I am from the east coast and feel like I was meant to live somewhere other than here. But, this is where the Lord has us! I am so happy to hear of your royal treatment! Good for you! Hope all is well with your sweet little baby! Can't wait for more updates!

clyde said...

Thanks for the update Julie. Glad you are all well!

Jenny said...

Thanks for the update! We have been waiting to hear how it is all going! We love the Gebhards!!

Michelle said...

Yea yea! U r back in blog business ! We miss u so much!

Debbie said...

Yea, the Munch Bunch tales! You do a wonderful job on your blogs Julie and we love your family journeys. Prayers have been answered for you in NC. You should have many moments of exploring for the whole family -love and blessings to you all ~ Debbie & Steve Cooper

Kristi Bowers said...

oh wow! You have been busy! Sounds like a lot of changes, but isn't it great when you KNOW it is where GOD wants you?