Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Kurt's Food Fads

A thought occurred to me while driving home from shopping at Wal-Mart and talking with Kurt on the phone. He asked me to stop at Ralph's- he had a "specific request" (his words). I had already passed Ralph's, so he told me not to go back. "What did you want?" I asked. "Well, I was really hoping you could pick me up some wafer cookies with peanut butter inside and chocolate on the outside." Hmmm... he has mentioned "wafers" a few times recently, but never in the 11 years we've been married has he mentioned wafers prior to a couple of weeks ago. This made me think of the phases of "snacks" Kurt has been through. When he's in a phase of a certain snack, you can bet we won't run out. His supply is spilling over in his office, my kitchen, his car, etc. Let's start at the beginning.
1. WATERMELON Jolly Ranchers. These were the absolute favorite when we were dating. He had them everywhere. In his car, in his pockets, in his house, etc. And he tried to convince me. To no avail.
2. Lucky Charms. This one comes in and out periodically. Typically a night time snack. When it happens, it is every night for a month straight, and he gets like 6 boxes at the store at a time. And he's VERY possessive of HIS Lucky Charms. He'll share them, if you find where they're hiding and ask nicely.
3. Peanut butter on marshmallows. This was a trend about a year ago, and it was tough for Kurt to go a night without this favorite.
4. Creme Savers. This began many years ago with strawberry flavored, but has altered to raspberry now. I don't think I know one other person on the planet that likes these.
5. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. This was another night-time snack for a while. He ropes the kids into some of his food fads, and they took him up on this one.
6. Raisin Bran. From Lucky Charms to Raisin Bran (???). I have no answer.
7. Ice cream with peanut butter, bananas, oreos, and whipped cream. This is a summertime treat, typically. I don't know that I can ever remember Kurt eating ice cream (at home) without every one of these items.
So there it is. A little insight on my "sweet" hubby. Mind you, he eats LOTS of vegetables. And gets his exercise. He's doing the "push-up and side plank" on Wii Fit at this very moment, and working up a sweat. Go Kurt!!

3 comments:

clyde said...

You forgot to mention he also keeps creme savers/jolly ranchers in his Bible cover. Kurt do you still use a Bible cover?

He also once really loved potato bread. Like really loved it.

Crystal said...

This is the first time I realized that you are expecting again! Congratulations :) that makes 5 of my friends expecting right now - how exciting :)

Hohn C said...

Julie, aren't YOU supposed to be the one with food cravings right now? :-)

Some of those concoctions sound so sweet that my teeth are aching just to hear them described!