Tuesday, February 3, 2009

25 Random Things I Don't Have Time to Write

This was a facebook thing, and since I wasted so much time on it, I figured I would post it here too. Consider yourself tagged if you're reading this.

Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

Here goes. I don't have time to do this, so it will be brief. After being tagged a few
times, I guess I'll do it.

1. I have 5, nearly 6 kids. If you didn't know that already, you probably aren't reading this. (I know that makes little sense, but think about it for a minute)
2. I have a passion for mothering. I want to be the best mom that I can be. This means tolerating all kinds of things, play-doh, paint, playing hide-and-seek, doing lots of laundry, etc. Most people think that's pretty unsophisticated and demeaning, but I think it's worth it.
3. I have all sorts of random hobbies. I love to make things- baby barrettes, blankets, knit beanies, scarves, picture frames, etc. I've grown to love writing too (stories about the kids, mostly- talesofthemunchbunch.blogspot.com) I'm having so much fun teaching my 7 year old crafty daughter how to make stuff.
4. I furnish my house with garage sale items for the most part. I find incredible things here in my yuppie neighborhood, and I'm not ashamed to dress my kids in garage sale GAP, Gymboree, Janie and Jack, etc. new looking kid clothes. I wash them before they wear them.
5. I have a good friend who has 4 kids (7,6,4 and 2) who is suffering with cervical cancer and doesn't seem to be winning. You can read her story at nicholegreene.blogspot.com. Please pray for her, and gain life perspective. She is planning to post her own thoughts soon. (most of the blog is my updates on her condition)
6. I have the easiest pregnancies. No sickness, no nausea, no vomiting. (no wonder we keep going) I feel bad telling my sick friends that.
7. I am married to the greatest man (husband and dad) in the world. He works harder than anyone I know, plays harder (with the kids), doesn't waste time on ESPN or other things, and gives me back and foot rubs all the time. He is selfless and a great leader. He listens to me (usually). I could go on.
8. This is not brief.
9. I don't like fruit or veggies (mostly). I still make my kids eat them. (I like some, but struggle)
10. I eat my greens. In the form of mint ice cream, mint candy, and sometimes a little pistachio pudding.
11. I make at least 20 PB&J sandwiches a week. We buy bread at Costco.
12. I love to garden. I don't do it now, because I have other important things to do (see 1&2)
13. We don't have cable TV. Not even an antenna. We get NO channels. I love it. My only time-wasting is on facebook! We occasionally watch Lost, 24, and movies on DVD.
14. I love to bake. Therefore, I struggle with eating too much of what I bake. Brownies, cookies, cinnamon rolls, dense cakes-the best. Everything has to have chocolate in it.
15. I killed a rattlesnake in my own backyard last summer. It was quite the adrenaline rush. The kids carried the head around the neighborhood in an animal cracker plastic container showing the other kids. (I think my head swelled a little)
16. I'm running out of ideas. I'll take a brownie break.
17. I really enjoy shopping at Target. (Especially with Wendy, whose motto is, "just get it") I am particularly drawn to the red clearance signs. Shopping is a game to me. (I was there an hour ago)
18. Lots of things in life are a game to me. (garage sale deals included) I am an extremely competitive person. So is my husband, though he wouldn't as readily admit it.
19. I have a secret desire to open a store, but am living out that desire vicariously (and without the financial burden) through my brilliant sister-in-law who owns "Vintage Rose Interiors" in Turlock. They have a website, but I'm not sure that it's completed yet. I've been her biggest shopper, I believe... (I counter it with garage sale shopping, okay?)
20. My favorite authors are mostly dead. I love J.C. Ryle, Spurgeon, some other puritan writers, and of course my pastor, John MacArthur. He's alive, and I'm glad for that!
21. I grew up with more pets than could be counted. My mom was a trooper! We had a 10 foot long cage in our backyard for the little critters (sometimes not so little)- snakes, lizards, bunnies, rats, mice (they didn't last long with the snakes). We also had cats, dogs, fish, hamsters, and more. I think we even kept frogs for a time. My elementary class took field trips to our home to see the animals (no joke).
22. I would contend that I have the most blessed life of anyone I know. I think I can say that without seeming arrogant. It's nothing I've done. The Lord has been SO good to me and my family. We have so much fun together, and have a great marriage. It hasn't always been that way, but we've worked through some tough times, and still do, occasionally. It's much rarer (if that's a word) these days.
23. I want to be a better friend. I think I've become comfortable in friendships (which is good), but I want to give more to friendships, especially those that will be eternal!
24. I am not having any more kids. Six is it. (HA! I know that's outrageous to most people) I've always wanted a big family. I'd say I have it. I'm sure Lois Green would argue with that, but she is certainly amazing.
25. My college years were the formative years of my life. My BFF's Wendy Penberthy, Kim Gorauskas, Heidi Garrett, Rebekah Sheely-Kirkpatrick, Christy Mabs, (Camp Gilead) Kimberly Mallory, Elisabeth Aaby, Kim Fischer, Sandi Floyd, Erin Johnston-Klang, Kim Kollman, Christy Bowers, Deb Janho, and more- were there to watch me (and laugh at me) being stupid (and joining me in that!), making awful mistakes, but also wanting to learn and grow closer to the Lord... they were always a few steps ahead of me, always encouraging me along the way. Wow. So here it ends. I'm late picking up my kindergartner. I owe her an ice cream sundae (a promise I made last time it happened).

3 comments:

Kristi Bowers said...

its good to be able to look back and see the mistakes we made in college and see where God has us now!! Wouldn't trade it for anything!! I have such fond memories of you and volleyball!! It is great to read how God is working in your life and how awesome...6 healthy kiddos! Praying for Nichole everyday....

K said...

Hi Julie, I'm reading your blog for the first time! Hi from Dan, Kristen and the gang in OH. I'll send you the link to my blog sometime! (Oh, and congrats on #6!)

gale said...

julie - it is so refreshing to know another grown, mature woman is out there that is not a fruit & veggie eater....i've been that way now for 60 years!!

an update on andrew - he is still clinging to life as his family surrounds him singing hymns of praise.