Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another Day in the Life...

Well, I made it through the Doctor's appointment, with only one small comment that I was dreading. I like Inna. She is the nurse practitioner I saw today. She looked at my chart after the weigh in, and simply said, "Everything looks good, except (that dreaded word) that the weight gain is a little more than we like to see..." Ugh. I knew it was coming.
Anyway, nothing a little Target shopping couldn't cure. So we headed for a quick trip to Target, to brighten the afternoon. Just a short trip, since we only had around an hour to get Kinley to school. I think this was the first time I had been to Target without even one thing on a list to buy, but that didn't stop me. So as I was browsing through the linens, the kind Target worker gave me the heads-up that there were TWO aisles that she had just personally discounted to 75% off. I made a beeline to those designated aisles, and thus began the shopping madness. Sheet sets for $4.98. I recently realized that the kids had only a set of sheets (each), with one extra to spare. So a few of those went into the cart. That was the beginning. Then there were twin comforters that were great for Reilly's new bunk beds, a great beach blanket (comforter) for $15, and several other things I couldn't pass up. Target's always good for returns, too. So we're heading out the door when the real mayhem began. This is kind of embarrassing, but the cart was so full that I had to take the kids out. So when we were checking out, the kids were bouncing around and getting in other people's way. I was digging through my purse looking for the keys and my wallet, and found only one of the two. I knew I had hooked the keys onto the shopping cart cover, but they weren't there now. Cam had sat in the front of the cart at one point, and admitted to unhooking the keys when I asked. Oh NO. We were for sure already in a time crunch, and now no keys. So I pay for the goods, and they're all sitting there unbagged on the counter, when the cashier starts ringing up the next person's stuff. This tempted me to frustration, since I had my hands full and normally they help load the cart. He was young and new (I know all of the regular cashiers there) and was unphased at the chaos in front of his eyes. I hadn't even had the chance to move my cart out of the way. Another kind (woman) cashier came over to help when she saw what was happening. So the dilemma remained- no keys, and no school for Kinley until we find them. We shoved all of the stuff into the cart, and I shoved Macy into the seat, and we were off to scour the aisles for keys. After 15 minutes of searching, and lots of questions for Cam that led to nowhere ("Cam, do you remember where we were when you dropped them?" "Um...right here." Same question, and same answer 5 minutes later in another section), God's hand of providence had not brought us to them. So I called Kurt. He graciously listened to my sob story, then reminded me that God knew exactly where they were. We got off the phone, and Kurt said he would pray for me. This is where it gets good. Not even a minute after I hung up the phone, a thought occurred to me. Did I see the keys in the trash can we picked up? I dug down through a couple of layers of bedding, and sure enough, there they were in the bottom of the trash can (which the cashier had rung up and placed a blanket inside of on top of the keys???????!!!!!!!!!!???). Praise the Lord.
Out the door we went. As the frustration was wearing off, I asked the girls, "Does anyone want a Happy Meal from McDonalds??" (That's code language for mommy wants a big burger and fries and chocolate milkshake right now because she thinks it will make her feel better) The happy answer, "YES!!" and that was the end of the dilemma and frustration. Kinley was 30 minutes late, but there are worse things than a Kindergartner missing a few minutes of class...

2 comments:

Chunny and Me said...

Cute story Jules! Mickey-D's fries always make me feel better too!! :)

Cherie Baker Vann said...

oh my word, I wish I had known about those aisles too!! :)