Friday, February 6, 2009

Boyhood

Well, today Reilly came home from school and a couple of minutes after he got home, he became a little somber. Last week there was a little incident at school, and Reilly was culpable, so I think he was remembering that and was a little nervous about this one. So was I.
"Um, mom, something happened today."
"Yes, what is it?"
"Well, we were outside, and I splashed in a puddle and Mrs. Birch threatened me that if it happened again she would send me to the office." (The principal's office, I assume)
"Okay, well, why did you do it?"
"Um, I don't know."
"Well, why don't you take some time to think about it and then we'll talk."
I thought about it for a moment, then went back to making my chocolate chip cookies. I called him back over a minute later.
"Reilly, had Mrs. Birch just told someone not to do that? Did it happen yesterday and she told you not to?"
He paused for a moment, very thoughtfully, then answered.
"Not that I remember..."
"Okay, well, just don't do it again."
"Okay mom."
So this was the end of our discussion. I left a minute or two later to pick up Kinley from school, and I started thinking about what had happened. Then I remembered my question to Reilly, "why did you do it?", and literally started laughing out loud at myself. This question has to rate in the "top ten stupidest questions I've ever asked my kids." Why did he do it? I mean really, what kind of answer did I expect? C'mon. He is a nine year old boy!!! That's WHY he did it!!! I mean, what kid isn't immediately drawn to puddles, simply to splash in them just to watch the water spray somewhere? Or someone? Is this evil??? Is it even naughty? What in the world!?! I don't blame Mrs. Birch, because I know that if all 20 of the kids started doing it, it would be mayhem. But why in the world did I come off at him the way I did? I think I know why.
Why? Because I want to please people. Because I don't want anyone thinking bad of my kids. I want to impress their teachers for them, and want them to be "good kids". Something like that. I think that would be called "the fear of man." Ugh. That's ugly. I'm certainly glad I didn't make too big of a deal of it, but I think I've also learned to apply a little more discernment.

I am resolved today to not merely tolerate childishness, but to enjoy it, because I know it will be gone before I know it!
Tomorrow, if it's raining, I think I'll start a puddle splash fight with the kids. Don't tell them I planned it.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

That is so great! When I was a kid, our neighbors took the family out to a muddy feild during storms with the purpose of rolling in it! I always wanted to go, too.

M in Tarzana said...

A puddle splash fight? Will you adopt me?!