Friday, October 5, 2007

Inside the Mind of a 4 Year Old...

Inside the mind of a 4 year old… 10/2/07

Wow, what a moment I just had. Do you ever wonder what is going on inside the mind of a child? Here is a just a glimpse of one of the possibilities as displayed by my four year old as she finished her lunch. There were a few tortilla pieces on her plate, and her used napkin as well as her sisters used napkin. These served as her “puppets”. After I heard a few words of the dialogue between the tortilla and the napkin, I ran and got a piece of paper, and a colored pencil and stood behind her at a table where she would not key in on me, and started writing as fast as I could, capturing most all of her chatter. There were a few dramatic pauses, which enabled me to catch everything. Whatever I missed wasn’t much different from what is written below, and what is written is verbatim. I promise. I may have missed 2 lines. She used a couple of different voices as she moved the napkins and tortilla pieces, bouncing them off of her empty purple stage (plate). It went something like this:

“What can I do?”
“I brought food for you.”
“Hey!! There’s none food left. I’m all scrunched up like this and I don’t wanna be!! I’m going back to bed!”
(in a song- evidently this is a musical) “Oh what can I do? I’m never gonna die like you, cause he’s sinking!!”
“GRANDPA!!”
“I thought that was my dad.”
“GRANDPA!! I thought he was going to sink like that. This isn’t fun!!”
“I and you are fish. So what can we do?”
“I’ll fly and go away forever. I just want to stay here with you.”
“Oh, what can I do with you. Oh, Grandpa, I wanted to stay here with you, but I can’t!”
“I didn’t like it when I was a baby with you!” That folks, is where it ended. I’m not sure if that was the end of the musical, but that is where Grandpa and whoever stopped conversing. I’ll have to say, I could’ve listened for a lot longer, and look forward to the next musical. I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

New Name Coming Soon.... said...

Oh that is simply MARVELOUS! Thanks for sharing! -Kaitie

Erin said...

I just love that creative Kinley May!