Thursday, December 13, 2007

When 4 is Less Than 1

Well, 4 happens to be less than 1 in my house today (and most days in the recent past). 3 dress themselves, brush their own teeth, pour their own drinks, and even do some small chores like cleaning their rooms (in a kid sort of way), wiping the floor, emptying their trash, and putting a few other things away. The baby still doesn't make huge messes, typically. These are the "4".
I am honestly astonished at what "1" two year old can undo in a matter of seconds, and the chaos they can cause by just being a two year old. Without even having malicious intentions, a two year old can make the hugest mess imaginable in no time at all. I spent my entire morning keeping up with my two year old.
Breakfast: the big kids ate their Reese’s Peanut Butter Crunch (disclaimer: we don’t usually do junk cereal on school days) before school, and Cam was right behind wanting some. So I recycle a bowl and pour a small amount in for her, and a small amount of milk. Not more than a minute later, somehow, it’s spilled all on the table and on the floor (the kitchen rug- I’m expecting it to start retaining some smells soon with all the spills that have occurred).
Snack: Cam notices me drinking my protein shake (when I don’t have time to make my own breakfast) and wants some. So I pour a small amount in a cup (with no lid…) and give her a straw. I should remember that the straw always confuses a two year old- ‘do I tip the cup up when there’s not much left, or hold it down?’ By the time their little minds figure it out, they’ve already tried both ways, which means another mess…
Fun: An open water bottle half full on the counter, an empty squirt bottle from Disneyland within reach… of course this presents a perfect opportunity to practice pouring (a favorite practice for small children of all ages). But without enough practice yet, every drop ends up on the floor. Oh well, water is easier to clean up than other substances, and actually gives me an opportunity to mop an area of the floor. Look at the bright side, right?
Etc.: So I’m checking email on the computer and in walks my two year presenting her underwear to me with her little nudie booty out to the side (it goes along with her sassy attitude). With the sweetest smile and a hint of pride, she says, “Look mommy, I go poopy!” A bit sternly and irritated, I respond “Cam, you don’t go poopy in your underwear.” Cocking her little head to the side with a furrowed brow she looks as if she was disappointed along with me (at someone else). She responds, “Oh, dat yucky. Wipe my tushy.” No joke. Two year olds say what they want to say, and usually have a funny way of saying it.
I looked at the clock on my computer and realized that it wasn’t even noon yet, then wondered what the rest of the day would hold for my busy two year old… she is presently hugging my arm chanting, “mommy, mommy”… these are the moments that cause me to remember that it’s all worth it.

2 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

That is so cute! Glad you can see the blessing in the small things. I love it. Hey, I'm still waiting for my Christmas card too!?!?!?!!?
Love you girl!

Wendy Penberthy said...

I just love little Camdyn!! She is so funny and reminds me of Kate so much! Miss you guys!