Monday, April 13, 2009

WAAAAAAA!

Our kids are great. Kurt and I love each one so much. Today, something struck me. Noise. Today, it was all about injuries. There is always a lot of noise around here, but this afternoon was particularly noisy, because everyone was getting "injured". Lots of crying. Lots. Here is a list of "injuries" that happened today- mostly in the last hour and a half. Each injury elicited tears, screams, and spasmodic behavior of sorts.
1. Reilly dropped the kitchen bench on his toe while doing homework, then banged his knee on the table in the overreaction. I think that probably really hurt.
2. Camdyn, while running down the stairs with a book, knocked the book into something which then knocked her lip, causing the tiniest amount of blood, but by far the most screaming of all the episodes. And the piece of paper towel was carefully held there for the next 30 minutes. With occasional whimpers.
3. Reilly, while trying to poke under Shea's eye (??) during dinner, poked her right in the eye. Lots of crying for that one.
4. Kinley tripped on something (her own feet- I believe) when she came out of the bathroom and thudded her knees on the ground (waking me from my shallow afternoon cat nap on the couch).
5. Macy slipped on a pearl necklace on the wood floor in the girls' bedroom and found herself in the splits (nearly). Ouch.
6. Cam banged her glasses on something, in turn jamming them into the top of her nose. This is an almost daily injury.
And now for the finger injuries (it is highly unusual to have three index finger injuries in one day, let alone one hour!)
7. Kinley "cracked (her) knuckle" on the railing while running wildly up the stairs.
8. Reilly, in typical spastic form, raced across the kitchen and whacked his finger on the kitchen table (of course this inhibited him from holding the pencil well while finishing his homework).
9. Shea, while wearing her new swim goggles (Easter basket) and cleaning the stairs, with impaired vision, didn't see the railing and jammed her finger into it as she tried to pick something up.

I know this doesn't account for all of the crying and injuries today- this list literally took me 3 minutes to compile, and the thought didn't even occur to me until dinner (I wasn't taking notes throughout the day). Thankfully, Kurt nor I sustained any injuries today. Now they're all in bed, quiet as mice... and though I enjoy the quiet, I actually get excited to wake them up in the mornings and start it all over!