Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I PASSED!

Wow, that was a long post. Anyway, if you hadn't been on facebook, you might not have heard the good news. I PASSED! I decided that I had had enough, and didn't feel the need to go back for more (decided not to fail on purpose as I had previously considered doing). The questions were repeating already and I had seen most of them. Okay, so I did as promised and smuggled the iPhone into the testing area. I felt so high-schoolish and so nervous that I might get caught! (That is sadly how I lived during those years). I successfully took MANY pics but don't know if I can figure out how to get them from my phone to the blog. I posted one of the licensing officer ("Hello California Girl") on facebook but none of the test yet. Okay, he was a real sweetheart. I may just have to rent the movie he recommended to me "Julia Julia" (about Julia Childs?) because he was so sweet. There is such a strange vibe there- all of the "officers" are so sweet, but all of them take their job SO seriously. I'm telling you, not one person will ever get a North Carolina drivers license who hasn't taken the proper steps and passed through their fine-toothed comb! Anyway the officers gave the girls lollipops while I took the test and we were out of there in a flash. I only missed ONE question!! The questions today were ridiculously easy! (Must be the test Kurt got yesterday :)
Okay, so today's events were not quite as humorous as yesterdays, but I'll break it down a little for you. First of all, I'm sure you would have gotten a good laugh if you were sitting in the car with me before I walked in. I was trying to figure out how I was going to smuggle the phone in there and to the computer area without getting caught. I was tucking it here and there, and even took a few practice pictures. I decided it might not work out, but still made sure to keep my phone on me just in case. I was SO nervous when I walked in there! The office was much more crowded today, so we had to wait a few minutes longer. They were just as friendly today, and welcomed me back with kind words. "Back again, are you?" and "Ready to try again?" They were all cheerful and sweet with the kids. Thankfully I didn't have to go through the vision test thing. However, I had studied the sign shapes and colors just in case! So once again, I was sent back to the computers. Yes! They sent me to the furthest one away. I decided to put Dax on the chair next to me in his car seat, to help camouflage my picture taking. He wasn't quite high enough... and the glaring lady was there at the same desk again today. However...after the first two questions, Dax woke up and started crying. Hmmm....my wheels started turning...perfect! I carefully unstrapped him (so as to let him cry enough so no one would be suspicious of why I would choose to hold a baby while taking the test). I held him in my left arm while taking the test, and my camera was safely tucked out of sight! Picture taking was a breeze! And the office was so busy, no one was really paying much attention to me!
In case you're wondering about the "woman" question, I got it again today, with a picture as well. Here it is. "Studies have shown which of the following to be a serious traffic hazard?"
A) Middle-aged drivers.
B) Slow drivers.
C) Women drivers.
For REAL. That's when you start to look around you to see if there are hidden cameras on you. Are you kidding me? Put the ACLU on that one! But seriously, I would like to know who wrote that question and what in the world they were thinking. Really. And then I have to wonder how many people have chosen C as their answer.
Here's a question that I liked. "When litter is thrown from or blown (??)from a vehicle:
A) It's a problem only if it hits someone.
B) The driver is held responsible and may be charged with littering.
C) It's no problem, since someone will eventually pick it up.
My four year old got this one right. And the picture. Litter on the highway median. Excellent. I was thankful for the questions that had only one logical answer, and thankful for fun pictures.
Okay, one more complaint. The question first.
"If a driver refuses to take the breath test, which of the following will happen?"
A) The driver is assigned to a driver improvement class.
B) A six month revocation of the license by the department of motor vehicles.
C) A twelve month revocation of the license by the department of motor vehicles.
Now, is it really important to have this fact memorized? I do understand and am glad to comply with knowing certain driving facts that actually affect the drivers around me or the safety of those in my own car. But they really expect us to tuck this one away? I don't save space in my brain for things like this. And I think this is the one I got wrong. But it was completely worth getting it wrong just to see the picture of the guilty woman with the Breathalyzer in front of her facing the sheriff. I snapped one of this too.
Let me break down the pictures and then I'm done.
The question was about littering (I got two of them). The second question had the best picture. A red car driving down a nice road, and a hand stretched out the window holding a piece of trash in it. Accurate representation of littering.
Another question about giving your license to an under aged person to allow them to purchase alcohol. The picture was of two women (one younger than the other) under some trees (obviously hiding) and doing the hand-off of the drivers license- passing it back to the older lady, alcohol in hand!
And my favorite picture...the arrest of the black-sandal white tube sock man!! Check him out on facebook unless someone can tell me how to load my iPhone pics onto a blog.
Okay, enough already. Thank you for reading and for rejoicing with me in my victory!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Julie! I loved reading the saga of getting a driver's license in NC. You had me cracking up and missing you all at the same time. :)