Tuesday, June 10, 2008

6 going on 16

Today Shea got in the car after school and before she even sat down in her seat, she said with a sense of urgency (and serious drama- it is Shea after all),
"Mom, I have something to tell you that I don't want anyone to know." (except for me, I guess)
"What is it, Shea?"
"Well, today I found out that Trevor AND Luke both have a crush on me."
"And how did you find this out? Maybe it was just a rumor."
"No, Mom, it's true. Lauren told me that Trevor likes me, and Trevor told me that Luke likes me." (oh, of course, THAT's no rumor! Silly me!)
"Mom, I'm like totally freaked out!!" (VERBATIM)
"Shea, let's not make a big deal out of this. It still may just be a rumor. Even if it is true, it's no big deal. Just be normal about it." (Me, trying to say something reasonable and UNdramatic)
"No, mom, I'm totally freaked out! What if they are both in my class next year and they both sit next to me?? And they both like me!!! I'd be so freaked out if that happened!" (It's quickly becoming clear to me that "freaked out" is a new and obviously cool phrase to Shea)
I didn't feel the need to respond to this little spawning thought in Shea's head- I don't think I really had anything intelligible to say at this point. At least she seems to want to keep it to herself...
"Mom, is it okay if I tell Sean that Luke and Trevor like me?" (So much for not spreading rumors...I'm not sure why she even asked me this question, but I'll gladly answer)
"No, Shea, let's keep this to ourselves. We don't want to spread gossip around. We're not even sure that it's true..."
Wow, I didn't think I'd be dealing with this in first grade!! I am certainly glad that she tells me these things, and even asks for my help! I thought we were still in the cootie stage, but somehow that stage was skipped entirely for Shea. How I wish boys had cooties...

4 comments:

clyde said...

Sounds like it is time for homeschooling. Get your flower dresses ready.

:)

Hilarious story-telling Julie. I enjoyed the play by play action. Hopefully this will get sorted out.

Wendy said...

That was so funny!! :)

Amber said...

Wait until 3rd grade...it's 10x's worse. Madison was asked on a date to the movies and called by a boy in class over Spring Break.

wagamama said...

I still think boys have cooties, Julie, is that a problem? :)