Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cancer- a bad thing?

Today I went and helped out Nichole Greene and her 4 little kiddos. Nichole is a young mom (twenties- young) with four fantastic kids- Ansel- 6, Noah- 5, Josie- 3, and Levi- 17 months. Nichole was diagnosed with cancer (bad cancer) and has been receiving chemo and radiation treatments. I was incredibly blessed by my time there. I left a little envious of her (isn't that ironic??) I'm going to categorize my reasons for you.
What Nichole is NOT doing:
1. Questioning why God would allow this to happen to her, a young mom with four kids.
2. Becoming bitter about all that she cannot do with her kids or all that she cannot do around the house.
3. Becoming frustrated by not being able to walk, unaided, to her bathroom.
4. Pitying herself. Wouldn't she have just cause?
5. Despairing.
What Nichole is doing:
1. Joyfully anticipating each opportunity to tell others of the hope that she has in Christ (during chemo and radiation treatments).
2. Humbly and thankfully receiving care from people. Telling people specifically how they can help is truly humbling.
3. Praising God (out loud, to me today) for how she has been strengthened in her faith as it is being tried by fire.
4. Praising God for what this has done for her husband in growing him, and her family as well.
5. Blessing so many people by joyfully accepting this trial from the Lord and proving her faith is the real deal. Nichole has been known to ask people how she can be praying for them as they drive her to her treatments.
Wow. I want to go back tomorrow, and place myself as close as I can to this real life trial. It has been a blessing to see how the body of Christ has been at work through this trial. Many helping hands have come along and served in whatever area has been needed. Today alone, when I was there, someone came to help clean (scrub toilets kind of clean), someone else came to pick her up and take her to get hydrated, someone else came to bring cleaning products and check up on things, and then the second shift came to take my place. There is no other way I would have wanted to spend this day, and I honestly do think I'll be back tomorrow to fill a couple of needs that I saw today.
Today I learned that there is unmatched joy and deep satisfaction when serving a fellow believer in need. Try it. My husband has preached it over and over. Extending ourselves selflessly to others so closely represents our Savior, which brings immeasurable joy. Remember the first and greatest commandment? Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength and the second is this: love your neighbor as yourself... why don't I do this more often?- ugh, I am so short-sighted.
I can also say that other than walking through a cemetary or attending a memorial service, there is nothing that brings more sobriety, hope, and a sense of deep peace than walking through a trial as severe as this one with a believer who is unwavering in her faith. Nichole, although she has struggled at times, is trusting the Lord more than she ever has. She is THANKING GOD FOR HER CANCER.
Well, I am tempted to pray for a trial that would refine me like this is refining Nichole, but I don't know that my faith would be like hers.
Well, there is much more to say, but I don't have the time since my kids are running around outside like wild banchees in the backyard waiting for me to bring them a snack that I've promised 12 times while writing this post. More to come about Nichole.

2 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

I loved this post Julie. It's sad that we need trials in our life in order for us to draw closer to our Lord. I want the kind of faith that Nichole has!
It really puts things into perspective. Going through trials really should bring us joy as it forces us to rely and cling to the Lord.
I loved it and thanks for the reminder. Love you!
You and ME= Next Week!!!

Kristi Bowers said...

I can relate. Although it is not me who is sick, I have found myself thanking God for Kaleb WITH his sickness because I am a changed and different person than I used to be because of the Glory of God I see through Kaleb struggling for his life daily.....God is good and it reminds me of the refiner's fire, when we are under that fire, the impurities rise up and are able to be sifted out and who we truly are comes to light....