Friday, June 13, 2008

Tape-Day


Shea with a kitchen towel taped on her head



Reilly, demonstrating the part of the day I most enjoyed...hey, 5 kids make a lot of noise!

My garage freezer, securely shut


Yesterday I've affectionately dubbed "tape-day", for obvious reasons if you look at the pictures. It all started sometime in the afternoon when I walked into the garage to get something out of the freezer, and I saw this. I wondered, as you may be yourself, "what in the world could this mean?" Are my kids hinting that I need to go on a diet? Are they hiding something in there? I was a little hesitant to open it to see what may fall out, and indeed, they had put something in there. Thankfully, after peeling all of the tape off, turns out they were just making a huge hunk of ice in a sand bucket, and apparently the freezer wouldn't stay shut- so they became resourceful. I dumped the bucket (it didn't have a flat bottom, and I was afraid it would fall out next time) and hurled it down the side yard toward their backyard toys. Not more than a couple of hours later, without any discussion about it with the kids, I found the same thing again when I entered the garage. Anyway... no harm, no foul (I left it in this time because it had already frozen over), except that apparently they tried a third time to make several more large ice chunks and didn't tape it shut, and this morning when I went into the garage, the door was completely opened and lots of soggy melty food was hanging out... Reilly's allowance will help cover the tri-tip and Costco size box of ice cream bars that are chocolate milk now)



Later on in the evening, while I was busy on the computer, the kids found that tape was quite entertaining. When I first saw the amounts of tape they were using for their "activities", I thought, "what a waste!" Upon further consideration, the cost of tape is relatively cheap, and they were all playing so nicely with no fighting- there was plenty of tape to go around! I especially liked the part when they were all wearing tape on their mouths. Then they were using it to tape kitchen towels (see Shea) and other various things over their eyes, and walking around the house running into each other like mummies with their arms out in front of them. So, all you moms out there, next time you find your kids "wasting" tape, consider the cost, and next time you go to Costco you may want to purchase in bulk for play time! It's much cheaper than most toys...




1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oooh, good idea!! I wonder if I could just tape Milo to a chair or something...