Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Journey

Well, when we began this little journey and Camdyn's eye first started crossing, I immediately thought deeply. My mind raced- 1)what could be the cause? (scary thoughts), and 2) if the cause is something serious, will my faith in God waver?
Immediately my mind went to the worst (brain tumor). Of course I didn't let my mind stay there long, knowing that we had so much to learn about the problem. However, immediately after that possibility entered my mind, so did doubts about God's goodness. How could He be perfectly good, and allow something tragic to happen to such a sweet little, helpless girl? I didn't want to leave this question hanging, even though her issue seems to be resolved. This is an important question for all of us to answer, and better to have the answer before we are faced with a severe trial, then be scrambling to keep our faith and to deal with the trial! And I have no doubts that we will all face severe trials at one point or another, and many have already. How can we keep our hope and trust in the Lord?

The first thing that I had to be reminded of is that I, nor my family, are the center of the universe- the center of God's purpose, the end all of what God is accomplishing. We are not the glory of God. HE is!! He is at the center of His plan, His glory radiates from Him, through Him, to Him, and for His purposes. Not mine. It's not all about ME. Profound, I know.

The second thing that I needed to remember is that I don't know the mind of God. I can't see His invisible hand at work- however He knows what He is doing. I am so glad for that. I can't know the reasons behind all that He does, all that He allows to happen- even as it relates to my precious family. God has a plan, and nothing escapes His notice, gets past Him, or slips by Him. He is sovereignly carrying out His plan with great interest in detail, because He knows exactly what He is trying to accomplish. I don't. You don't. We won't, until we reach heaven.

Third, I needed to be reminded of God's goodness. God causes the sun to rise on the good and the evil. He is not willing that any should perish (eternally). He bestows goodness on believers and unbelievers! He cares for me, my family- precious Camdyn- like a Father cares for his children. When we cry out to Him, He always answers. He promises to. It is easy to forget this, especially when we are hanging on to sin and feel we don't deserve His goodness. But, He is still good! When we look to Him, He will always forgive and extend grace and goodness.

Last, I am reminded of a simple little often quoted verse. "All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord." (Romans 8:28) That means all things. For our good. Not only does He have His purposes in mind, but His purposes include our good, ALWAYS. We may not see it, especially during the trial, but often after the trial it becomes clear. If not, then we can be sure to see all of the facets of goodness when we reach His complete expression of goodness to us-heaven!! If our lives on earth were only filled with trials and difficulties and tragedies, (let's take Job, for example), our eternal reward of heaven- forever, without difficulty, without tears, without trials, without evil, living in the presence of Jesus, praising God with all of our friends, and fellow believers, how much goodness is that expressed to such poor, sinful creatures as we are??? Thanks for reading, I know it was long. I hope your heart is encouraged, as mine is!

3 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

Julie....I have been reminded of this time and time again this year. How true! God is faithful and His plan and ways are perfect for us....always for our good and his Glory! Awesome!

the e-wife, Karen said...

Julie,

This is so well put, and encouraged me greatly. I have been pondering many of the same thoughts lately. God's love and care for us is so amazing, isn't it? We are so undeserving, and He is so gracious to us.

Thanks for writing this - I'm sure many will be blessed!

Karen

M in Tarzana said...

Dear Julie, Thank you for these reminders of the eternal truths about our Creator and Savior and King! May all of us who read your blog know why we worship an invisible GOD ... because HE lives, HE is sovereign, HE alone is wise, HE alone is good, HE promises and is faithful to fulfill all HE promises and HE loves us beyond our comprehension! Thanking GOD for HIS work through you ... and your proclamation of HIM ... so that we may see all of HIS character clearly working in your life! Thanking GOD for your attitude of worship in your daily walk! What a blessing and living Bible you are to us! Praise the LORD!