Thursday, January 17, 2008

Conversations with Shea

I love conversing with kids. My kids, especially. Here's a conversation from this morning, with my thoughts (m:) and Shea's (S:).
This morning on the way to school Shea was sitting next to me and began telling me about Hudson, a new friend.


"Mommy, he is going to invite me to his birthday party."
"Oh, that's nice. Have you gotten an invitation?"
"No, not yet. But he promised he is going to invite me. And he is only NOT going to invite Tommy and Ryan. Everyone else in the whole first grade is invited." (m: There's like 130 first graders, this is not likely... S: This is going to be the best party in the whole world! I'm glad Tommy's not invited, because he always sings rap songs when he's sitting next to me!)

"He said he's going to have 50 birthday cakes!" (m:How do I break it to her...I think I'll let this one fizzle... S: I LOVE cake! I'm going to hide in a corner with a whole cake and eat until I feel sick! And no one will even notice, because there will be 49 more!)
"Well, we'll just wait and see if you get an invitation." (m: not likely)
"Oh, and Hudson gave me a hug yesterday after school." (me: Umm, we don't encourage hugging boys, but I'll reserve judgment)
"He told me that he was glad that I gave him advice, and gave me a hug."
"What kind of advice did you give him?"
"Well, he said his finger was hurting yesterday during P.E., and it was the finger that he would shoot the ball with, so I told him to ask the teacher if he could sit out, and he did!"
"That's good advice, Shea."
"So he gave me a hug later and told me, 'thanks for the advice, it was good advice, Shea.' That made me feel good, Mommy." (me: sounds like Hudson is a smooth-talker, and I'm going to keep an eye on him... S: I can't wait to see Hudson today...)

4 comments:

Julie Gebhards said...

This is Dad on the comment line:
1) This post is classic Shea. Absolutely classic stuff.
2) If only the world could behold the The Mack (McKinley Hinricks Gebhards) bust a move on Dance Dance Revolution. Our little homegirl is getting' her groove on.

Happy Hollie said...

LOL! I love it! That is so great. Did you come to Truth and Life? I will be looking for you tonight. Let's get something on the calendar again.....love you girl!

Hohn C said...

I'm guessing it wouldn't be very Godly to have Reilly beat the kid up, right?

Hohn C said...

(Note to the literal-minded: I was kidding. Probably. Ask me again in a dozen years.)