Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Nap-time for Macy

Most babies cry when you put them down for a nap. At least they fuss for a minute or two when you first lay them down in the crib, if not a lot longer. Some child-rearing opinions say that if you don't just lay them down and let them cry it out, they won't ever learn. (learn what? I'm not sure...) Macy, however, defies all opinions and has the sweetest demeanor before naps! It is by far the most precious time that I have to enjoy with my precious baby. Here's the routine that I savor every day (I know it won't last forever!): At naptime, I carry Macy upstairs to her room and make sure the curtains are blocking as much light as possible. Then, I turn on the fan- facing away from the crib, just for noise. Once the fan is on, I begin rocking, and Macy's little face instantly burrows into my chest until she finds a comfortable nook. Not a peep, not a cry, not any complaining at all. I hum "Amazing Grace" to her as she settles down. She flips her head back and forth a couple of times, rubbing her eyes like tired babies do, but no crying. Her sweet cheeks are so soft and it's my favorite when her head is facing toward me, because then I can rest my chin on her chubby cheek and she feels so snuggly and soft... once I have hummed all four verses, sometimes more if another kiddo doesn't need me, I gently lay her down in the crib, cover her up, and walk out. She isn't asleep when I leave the room, but again, she does not cry. I treasure every moment of it, and to my shame I have credited myself for her sweet demeanor. However, today I recognized that it is the Lord's goodness to us in giving us such a sweet baby, and nothing that I have done! I want to thank Him for His kindness to our family!!

3 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

Julie that sounds lovely. When I come over will you try that with me?!?! I love the snuggles with a light humming.
Holla sis!

joey said...

yeah. macy is unreal. a baby full of God's effectual grace. sanctification already in full effect. i wonder if that's how baby jesus was?

mrsjmyoung said...

I know exactly what you mean by not being able to take credit for such a good-natured child. I have one of those. My mother-in-law had to remind me (during a very rare rough time), that the bad times aren't my fault either. Just a case of sin nature at work in my darling little boy.

Naptimes are the best, though. Such sweet cuddle time.