Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Little Reporter

This is actually from a little while ago, but we have been so busy that I haven't written anything new recently, so I pulled this up to make you laugh!
So I took Reilly to basketball practice this morning and brought Cam and Macy (two years old and 7 months- wow-time flies!). While Reilly was practicing, Cam was emptying her backpack onto the bleachers and checking out all that I had packed for her. She likes to bring things in a “purse” because Shea (6) and McKinley (4) always bring a purse with them. So I grabbed the only empty “purse” (a red mini backpack) I could find and threw a few little things in it so that she would be amused at the two hour practice. And because she was beginning to throw a tantrum about bringing a purse when I was trying to rush her out the door. I did a poor job packing, but she didn’t seem to mind. A pink baseball cap, a stuffed tiger, a baby doll bottle, a little happy meal red dog- like toy, two random little coin purses, and a notebook. No pencil or crayons. Oops. Anyway Cam was busy organizing her stuff, and Macy was still in her car seat and was pretty amused. I usually don’t take her out unless she starts fussing. I need all the free hands I can get. So she was sitting so sweetly, talking, spitting and making all kinds of cute noises. I couldn’t resist just picking her up since she had been sitting there for over an hour completely happy and I hardly get the chance to play with just her. So as I unbuckle her car seat, I notice that sweet butter popcorn smell of breast milk poopy. Oh no. I wasn’t exactly prepared for this. I wasn’t even sure that I had diapers in my purse. I did have wipes. I have wipes in all of my purses. No diaper. This was a short outing, and I had rushed out the door to make it on time, lest my son again has to sit out during the scrimmage because we were late. Well, I’ll go check the car. Sometimes I have a spare in the car. Yessssss. I’m wondering where I might change her... I really don’t like taking my two year old into public bathrooms to change the baby's diaper. I have this fear that she might touch something. Even if we wash her hands, she may have brushed up against some icky germs or leaned on the wall which everyone knows can cause all sorts of horrifying diseases. So I head back to the gym. There’s not a lot of people in there anyway, and I can be pretty discreet. Oh no. This one is bad. It has seeped through two layers of clothing, and is messy. I’m not sure how it works, but sometimes I swear she has sprung a leak, because there was no poopies inside the diaper, but plenty had somehow come out the back and run up to her neck (just about). And by the time I had gotten her clothes off, it had smeared on her legs, and she had reached with her hand and gotten some there too. Keep in mind that she is on my lap while I am doing all of this. Part way through the change, I turned myself around on the bleacher and was facing the wall. I decided that it wouldn’t be a good idea to put on a show during the water break for the 7 and 8 year old boys. They are in the middle of the potty humor days and need no more ammo to fuel the fire. In the meantime, my two year old has forgotten about her purse treasures, and is extremely interested in what I am doing, offering her help. She is trying to get the wipes out for me, and wants to help wipe Macy. She is also interested in making sure that everyone around us knows that “Macy is poopy”. She has literally gone around to the three parents that are sitting nearby and reported. “Macy is poopy.” Reporting is a very serious job for two year olds. She spoke intently, nodding her head. I was hoping that they may not understand what she was saying, but with the pointing and repetition, I’m confident that they all got the picture. There was another father that was just entering the gym with his son, and before he got very far Camdyn smiles, waves and says “hi”, immediately followed by- yep, you guessed it, "Macy's poopy!!" I kept dropping my head further and further to avoid anyone seeing my face- although that was stupid because I had already been sitting there for nearly an hour, and we still had an hour to go. I’ve since re-evaluated my choice of where to change the baby next time we have an explosion like that one…

1 comment:

Happy Hollie said...

It took me a few minutes to get through this post as I barely made it past the description:

"sweet butter popcorn smell of breast milk poopy" Seriously....spare us some of the details sis! :)
I love you. I'm going through Gebard Sunday withdrawl...I need to just call you. love you and miss you!