Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hudson

So if you didn't read the conversation with Shea, that would give the context for this entry. She introduced me to Hudson today, and he is NOTHING that I imagined. I had pictured this Rico Suave type kid (I don't quite know how I imagined that a first grader could be suave), with smooth moves and cool hair. Boy, was I wrong! Shea introduced us at Reilly's baseball try-out today. Hudson must be playing in a pee-wee league or something. He is the tiniest little kid, but apparently influential. There was only one girl that I saw at the try-out (actually trying out), and she and Shea were both vying for Hudson's attention. It wasn't in any suave manner, but when he ran, they both ran as fast as they could to keep up and keep their eye on him. When Hudson's parents weren't in my immediate presence I decided I would ask him about his birthday party.
"So, Hudson, I hear your birthday is coming up soon."
"Well, not really that soon."
"Oh, no? So I heard you are going to invite all of the first graders- is that true? Sounds like fun!"
"Well, all except for Tommy and Kenny. Tommy isn't nice, and Kenny doesn't brush his teeth."
Shea was chiming in with the gossip, so I cut them off. "Oh, let's not talk about that. Maybe he just ate some candy or something. So where is your birthday party going to be?"
"At Disneyland." For a moment, I pictured his mom and dad with a trail of some 120 first graders trouncing through Disneyland.
"Oh, really, and I heard you were going to have 50 cakes!!! I think I want to come to your party- am I invited?"
I think Hudson was a little uncomfortable with the idea of me (strange adult woman) inviting myself to his party. Oh well. "So what about the cakes? Is your mom making that many cakes?" Now Hudson was a little embarrassed. I really didn't mean to make him feel bad, I just wanted to play around with him. Like I said, I love conversing with kids. He just doesn't know me from Adam, so I guess he was a little awkward.
"I don't know if I'll have that many cakes."
"So when is your birthday?"
"Well, I'm seven and a half now, and my birthday isn't really that close." Dodging the question...are we?
Well, it was fun getting to know Hudson, and I no longer feel a threat to my daughter. He is half her size, after all. And he is definitely a little chatterbox, just like my Shea-girl, so they are more like bff than any of that ushy-gushy stuff- what a relief!

1 comment:

Hohn C said...

Your kids are going to just LOVE reading your blog archives when they get older! ;-)