Monday, August 11, 2008

Camdynism #7 (and then some)

Tonight I needed a little break. The kids and I were cooped up in the house today and I felt like I was hitting walls all day. That's probably not the right way to phrase that, but I think you get what I'm saying. I went to the school to drop something off (packing up all of the kids) and the office was closed (district meeting- perfect timing!) I went again later, and discovered the doctor's office left off the t.b. test from the immunizations (for Kinley), and that I didn't have the proper paperwork for Kinley. School starts in 2 days. Cam has been a handful recently and today was no exception. First thing this morning after she finished her chocolate milk, she helped herself to Kinleys (when she got up to go to the bathroom), drinking every last drop. She presented me with several other opportunities for sanctification today as well. I do thank the Lord for her "cuteness"- she is so adorable, even when she is getting into trouble.
Anyway, we went out for dinner tonight (because it always sounds like a good idea). Soup Plantation seems simple enough, but the kids love the fact that they have so many options and they fill their plates with each option. Grandma wouldn't have approved of the food wasting that went on tonight. Reilly started with raw broccoli- literally filling 3 whole sections of his tray with it.
"Uh, Reilly, that is raw broccoli- do you know that?"
"Yes, mom. I like raw broccoli."
"Okay son. Have at it!"
His first tray consisted of raw broccoli (lots of it) and cold plain pasta. We got to the table and I watched his face as he ate the first bite. It was clearly not what he expected.
"Uh, mom, it's crunchy."
"Yes, Reilly, I told you it was raw broccoli."
"Well, I didn't know that it would be crunchy." He didn't dare say that he didn't like it after insisting that he knew all about raw broccoli. I noticed him look over at dad, and apparently dad had also warned him about raw broccoli when he was serving it up.
I think he needs a little clarification on terms. "Raw" is clearly something that is unclear to him. Let me clarify- was unclear to him.
He ate a few bites, then we let him move on to other things.
Anyway, we had a great meal there, and the kids enjoyed the food freedom. I'm not much for making separate food for their tastes here at home, so restaurants are a privilege- especially one like Soup Plantation with options galore.
After we left, we let the kids wander around for a few minutes outside around a planter box in the outdoor mall area. They were up and down the stairs, checking out the flowers, watching people, etc. Another family was there as well, and Cam took it upon herself to meet the kids. The little girl was probably 5, and the boy was 3.
She leaned over to the boy and kindly said,
"This is my sister Macy."
Then her face turned into a scowl combined with a mean instructive tone.
"DON'T PUNCH HER."

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Ack, I'm sorry you had a rough day!

Camdyn is hysterical!! :)

Anonymous said...

Camdyn, your hillarious girl! I love it! Keep the stories coming.

Heidi

Eric M said...

There is a clear and definitive upshot to that last conversation that I think is great... Camdyn is VERY protective of her little sis. I think if it were me at that age, I would have said something like "Step right up to human punching bag! One jab for a dollar! Or take 3 swings for two dollars"