Friday, September 12, 2008

A Day Late

Yesterday was "patriot day". I was so caught up in the busyness of the day yesterday, I almost forgot. Yet at the gym my eye caught a glimpse of the TV screen when all those Americans were taking a moment of silence to acknowledge and remember what happened 7 years ago. It was a short moment as I was busy chatting with my friend on the elliptical next to me. I sadly didn't skip a beat. Later in the day as I was attempting to explain the significance of 9-11 to my kids, I was a little shocked. Shocked, that me, a proud American, wasn't taken back a little by the tragic loss of lives, the gloom that should have jaunted me a little, the grave day that it was. There was a blast of people at heaven's gate in an instant, and tragically, most likely, a blast at the gates of hell that day too. Many people died valiantly that day, and many died abruptly without even a moment to call their loved ones. Today I am remembering.
I am also brought to my knees in prayer over many people that are near to me that have other ailments and are suffering with cancer. My cousin Carol has anaplastic cancer that seems to be spreading quickly. My good friend Nichole Greene is suffering with cervical cancer and has four kids six years old and under. Greg, a 30 year old Bible Study leader in our fellowship group, met Jesus Christ in heaven earlier this year. Kiara Tyler, a six year old friend of mine (she invited me to her birthday party- but will be celebrating her birthday in heaven this year- I wish I could be there!) went to heaven late this summer. A new friend Shayna that I've been spending time with lost her husband to cancer 5 years ago, and moved to California with her 6 year old last month. A couple of my good friends from college lost their 6 year old daughter Logan last year to a bone marrow disease. Other friends from college (The Kostjuks- in my friends column) are more than likely going to lose their 11 month old baby girl Reese this week.
I am not a morbid person. I don't dwell on sad things or spend undue amounts of time thinking about death. However death is a reality. The current death rate is the same as it's always been, 100%. I remember a segment of a sermon by Rick Holland years ago, and he was talking about taking a walk through a cemetery now and then to bring some perspective on life and to remember that our lives- each one of us- are just a vapor- here one day and gone the next. Being reminded of this, how could we ever put off getting spiritual matters in order in our lives? I have been struck recently at how I view my life. I usually feel as if I am in control of things. Maybe those Americans working in the tower that day 7 years ago felt in control of their lives too. God divinely intervened. Was that to serve as a jolt to all of us so that we might make things right with Him? I am certainly feeling like God has been reminding me through remembering 9-11 and through the suffering friends around me that I need to walk closely with Him each day so that I will be prepared to meet Him, whenever my life should be called into eternity. I hope that all of you who read this will take a minute to reevaluate your life. Who are you seeking to please? Do you love the Lord? Are you living each day for Him? If you were called into eternity today, would you rush into His arms, or would you cower and "hope" He lets you in? Our days are numbered since before time began. Strive each day to live a life of no regrets! Resolve today to give your all for the Lord! If you aren't sure about your relationship with the Lord, settle the matter now! There is nothing of greater importance to your life on earth and to your soul for eternity. Don't let another day go by.

4 comments:

Debbie & Wyatt Anderson said...

Oh Julie, Thank you for taking the time to remember and then sharing your thoughts with us! Wow, I too am struck and share your thoughts regarding 9/11 and how quickly I dismissed it this year. I also share your conviction and am brought to tears.

As I read your blog I often wish we lived closer because I believe we would still be great friends (actually way better friends than we were in childhood!). We share so many common values and beliefs and it's rare! Thanks for sharing bits of your life through this blog. I, for one, am enjoying getting to "know" your precious family!

Many blessings! deb <><

Hohn C said...

Thank you for these thoughts.

On a lighter note, I thought you should know that the exact search term "Tales of the Munch Bunch" has been googled approximately 17,500 times so far. You apparently have an audience!

Kristi Bowers said...

we were talking about this very thing at sunday school today. This last year my son lost his best friend to asthma at age 7, I lost one of my players to a car accident, our friends lost twins at birth and we deal with that reality with our son everyday. It is important to remember what is important...thank you for sharing

Leo and Kim said...

Thanks for the reminder...I was challenged by your post.