Tuesday, September 16, 2008

J.C. Ryle Rocks My World

J.C. Ryle is an old author that I LOVE reading. He's been dead for over 100 years now. Every paragraph of his books is jolting. He communicates the truths of Scripture with clarity, and with so much pathos. He shakes the ground under me devastatingly violently, but offers so much kindness and mercy as a gentle shepherd. His communication of the Word has impacted my life more than any other author I have read. I think it's time for me to share him with you!
Today I was reading in "Holiness". The chapter was about Moses, an example of faith. We don't think of Moses often, but Ryle brings out Moses' great faith. He gave up becoming Pharoah, after all, and exchanged his life of royalty to be a slave with the Israelites. He had to believe in something to make that exchange, wouldn't you say? Anyway, this paragraph was riveting and I believe displays the earthquake style of Ryle.
"...What are you doing yourself? Are you willing to give up anything which keeps you back from God? or are you clinging to the Egypt of the world, and saying to yourself, 'I must have it, I must have it: I cannot tear myself away'? Is there any cross in your Christianity? Are there any sharp corners in your religion, anything that ever jars and comes in collision with the earthly-mindedness around you? or is all smooth and rounded off, and comfortably fitted into custom and fashion? Do you know anything of the afflictions of the gospel? Is your faith and practice ever a subject of scorn and reproach? Are you thought a fool by anyone because of your soul? Have you left Pharaoh's daughter, and heartily joined the people of God? Are you venturing all on Christ? Search and see. These are hard inquiries and rough questions. I cannot help it. I believe they are founded on Scripture truths. I remember it is written, "There went great multitudes with Jesus, and He turned, and said unto them, 'If any man come to Me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple.' (Luke 14:25-27)"
We tend toward light thinking, don't we? We are drawn to things that keep us feeling good and light-hearted. Eternity hangs in the balance, and we must spend time- however much time we need- to think deeply about our souls.

2 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

This was great Julie and very thought provoking. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is Kristin Harvey. I love JC Ryle! I am reading A Call to Prayer right now, which I have read several times before. It is short and it always convicts...it is a must read!