Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Once Was Blind...

...But Now I SEE!!!!
Wow. Words fail to describe the sheer joy on Camdyn's face when she saw the world for the first time! She had everyone in Lenscrafters captivated by her inexpressible joy... Here's the story. After running the gamut with insurance technicalities, I took Shea, Kinley and Cam to the mall to "help" pick out Cam-O's glasses. They were so excited, and were all trying on glasses. Cam was having loads of fun. (Kind-of, but she was disappointed every time we took a pair off to try on the next ones) We picked out the frames, then browsed the mall waiting for an hour before we could pick them up. When we returned, Cam hit a wall. She was soooo tired, and would have nothing to do with the glasses. Hmmm... my mind raced for a quick mommy idea... Right out the store front windows was the merry-go-round (at $3 a pop, 5 kids- do the math- we never ride it). "Cam, if you put your glasses on and look out the window at the merry-go-round, I will let you ride it!" The smile immediately crept up on her face. (The three of them had already asked me at least 3 times each to ride it) She took the glasses from me, put them on, and this is when her whole world changed...her face lit up like never before as she looked at the merry-go-round through the window. "MOM!! LOOK AT THE LIGHTS!! Look Mom!!! Look at the merry-go-round!! Look at the animals!! Look at the lights! Look at the monkey!!"...on and on she went. It felt as if we all got glasses together in her little mind, and we all jumped on board. The girls chimed in..."Cam! Look at the tigers! Look at that pretty shirt! Look at mommy's face!! Can you see it now?" She was seeing the world for the first time! I knew she would be happy once she tried them on, but I really wasn't prepared for this!! We left the store (and a handful of well-rewarded Lenscrafters employees!) and headed down to the merry-go-round, two girls skipping with glee and Cam's eyes wandering all over the place. I held her so that she could look at everything she wanted to without tripping. It was like a movie- picture a child entering a fantasy world, eyes so wide, looking up at every store front pointing at things she had never seen before, looking up at the lights that now were distinct and crystal clear, seeing the merry-go-round animals for the first time, etc. When we got on the merry-go-round, her electric smile made me lose it! I was so caught up in the moment, realizing how blurry and distorted her little world had been, how clear it now was, and I got carried away in a moment of sheer bliss watching my little girl see the world. It was such a moment of joy and praise to God, my eyes welled up and I couldn't contain the tears! I felt a little silly exiting the merry-go-round past the workers...but oh well! Explaining to Cam how sometimes mommies get so happy that they cry- seemed to not make sense to her, but she was so happy in her new world that she didn't care! I am so thankful to the Lord for all of you who prayed for Cam, and am so thankful for the way He chose to answer those prayers. I want to learn all that I can from this trial, so will hopefully bring you along in the journey of this past week a little bit here and there. Praise the Lord with us!


This was just before Cam tried on the glasses. She was not excited. Can you tell?

This is her right after trying on the glasses. A little different, huh? (Cam's new best friend behind the desk) Everyone all around was smiling!

This was Cam's excitement while Cam's new best friend adjusted the glasses a bit. This is sheer joy.

The glasses immediately correct the eye-crossing, praise the Lord!!

How's that for a big smile! She is the happiest girl in the world tonight! We Love our Cam-O!!

15 comments:

Wendy Penberthy said...

I just love her in those little glasses, she looks SO cute... I am so happy that she feels better and that she can finally see!!

Wendy said...

Wow! That is wonderful :)

Leo and Kim said...

I love that story. She is so cute in her glasses! Very stylish...good pick.

Anonymous said...

Cam, you make me cry! I think its a pregnancy thing . . . I cry all the time but I'm so happy you can see!!! Yeah!!!

Amrena Skye said...

What a happy ending to what could have been a sad story. Our God is great, and this is one more piece of evidence to how much He takes care of His children. Camdyn seriously looks too cute in her glasses - one more accessory to jazz up her darling personality.

Happy Hollie said...

Ok seriously....I cried when I read that. So sweet. God is Good! She is soooo cute in those little glasses...

clyde said...

fantastic. i'm glad it was that easy. lisa and i have a good friend who suffers from a similar thing.

Ashley Kostjuk said...

This was such a fun and encouraging post to read. Julie, you need to write books for children as you're so descriptive. I felt like I was reading a story that my kids picked out from the bookstore or library. Silly as that may sound, it's true. Your detailed account was such a joy to read. What a great day!

Hohn C said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. What a joy!

Jesse and Paulina said...

Praise the Lord!! He answered our prayers!!

bean said...

Yay! We are so happy for all of you, and she looks so cute in the new glasses! I can't imagine the difference for her!

Monique said...

Wow! Praise God! I've been praying for all of you and am too soooo thrilled at how the Lord chose to answer our prayers. I cried happy tears too reading this post so you can tell Cam that not only did her mommy cry happy tears but others did also. That'll really confuse her I'm sure! :) She looks just beautiful with them on too!

Amber said...

She looks so adorable in her glasses!

Cherie Baker Vann said...

oh my word, I'm all teary too!!!!

cdubb said...

What a touching story. Thanks for sharing the joy, Julie!